Monday, June 1, 2009

Trusting the Lord.....

Trust in the Lord at all times you people, pour out your heart before Him, the Lord is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:8

God not only gives us permission to unload on Him, but He actually commands it.

"Pour out your hearts before Him." There it is, right up front, loud and clear. Pour it out. Hold nothing back. Don't filter what's right and what's wrong. If there are no words, don't worry about coherency. God knows our hearts, and He wants it all. The good, the bad, and especially the ugly. Maybe God is simply saying, "Stop trying to make yourself presentable. Stop trying to figure things out on your own. Stop trying to play it safe. Come to me and I'll give you rest. Tell me your problems before you go complaining to a friend. I can handle it."

Being presentable is something I struggle with. I don't think there is one person that I trust enough with all of my worries. Sure, I talk to my friends about issues that come up, but I never unload it on just ONE person. I talk it out, with the ones that I trust. I don't unload on just one person because I don't want to burden them. Also, I'm afraid of being judged. I'm afraid they'll think that I don't have it as together as they thought.

I sometimes get fooled into thinking that if it isn't holy, then I need to keep it secret, but then, maybe that's the only way He can make us holy...when all that darkness is brought into the light.

Think about it. God's very own Son had reservations about the cross, but He brought it to His Father. He sweat blood, but hey, I'm sure glad that He didn't turn to the disciples for counsel. They were asleep.

God wants us to bring our whole hearts before Him. He already knows it, He just wants us to know it. I heard it said once that every man's most desperate desire is to be known completely and loved still.

When we bring everything before the Lord; no sensors, no filters, no reservations, when we finally stand as Adam and Eve once stood, naked and bare in His presence, only then will we see the true measure of His grace and love.

Imagine that....

God knowing every dark and hidden place that you've worked so hard to keep secret, and then saying, "You are my child. I love you. I died for love of you." I cannot think of a more confident refuge in all this world or the next.

What have you held back? What are you afraid to bring before Him?

I need to trust in the Lord's forgiveness, it's been bought with the blood of Jesus. There is no stain so deep that it cannot cleanse. I need to pour out my heart, let loose my soul, throw down every question, dream, hope, fear, and failure at the foot of the cross.

The Lord bids us to come.

Come and rest, for He is our refuge. His love never fails.

No comments: